Friday, December 27, 2013

Apple Mac and Cheese

A few years ago, when I was babysitting, I was faced with a dilemma, the kids wanted macaroni and cheese for dinner, but their mother wanted me to make them something healthy for dinner. So I decided to make a compromise, and with that Apple Mac and Cheese was born. 

This recipe literally couldn't be easier. I don't exactly go out of my way to cook fancy while I'm using someone else's kitchen while babysitting, so this is a meal anyone could make. I only use red apples, because I find that green apples are just too tart for box macaroni and cheese. However, if you were to try a more savory mac, go right ahead and try it with green apples. 

Follow the instructions on the side of a box of macaroni and cheese (I used Annie's Shells and White Cheddar with some red delicious apples in the picture below, but I've found Kraft works just as well, if not better).

While the pasta is cooking, cut up a red apple into quarters. 
If you are preparing 1 box of macaroni and cheese, use between 2-3 of the quarters and cube them into small, bite sized pieces that are about the same size as the pasta. 
If you are preparing 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese, use between 1 - 1/2 apples and cube the slices into small, bite sized pieces that are about the same size as the pasta. 

After you have drained the pasta and returned it to it's original pot, add the apples. 
Then finish following the instructions given on the box. 

The apples will be slightly crisp, yet slightly soft, which not only creates a nice texture alongside the soft macaroni, but the juices will be fresh and sweet with each bite, creating a delicious cheesy/apple taste that kids and adults will love. 

If your child has difficulty trying "new" foods, I suggest peeling the apples first, so that the red skins don't give you away. Children will think it is just regular macaroni and cheese until they try it and realize it tastes delicious. 

Annie's Shells and White Cheddar with apples

Personally, I make this meal all the time in my apartment and my roommates LOVE it! :)

1 comment:

  1. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Edible Fruit Arrangements Mississauga

    ReplyDelete