Monday, December 30, 2013

Copycat Edible Arrangements

The other day I was trying to figure out what to get as my dish for a friend's New Year's Eve party. I was considering getting an Edible Arrangement, but then I saw the price... 

This small arrangement of fruit costs $49!! 
http://www.ediblearrangements.com/

If you totaled up the price of the fruit needed for the arrangement above, it would be significantly less than the price of this arrangement, and there aren't even a lot of fruits present. There are about 5 types of fruit in this arrangement; pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, and grapes. The price for these fruits would be about $20 total, with A LOT of leftover fruit.

I liked the idea of an Edible Arrangement, but was not about to spend that much money on a small amount of fruit. Luckily, my cousin gave me "Pop Chef" for Christmas.

Pop Chef kit contents

Pop Chef

With the help of the items in the Pop Chef kit, I was able to create my own edible arrangement for significantly less money than an actual Edible Arrangement, even though I used more types of fruit and had a lot of leftover fruit for my family to munch on while I was at the party. 

MY edible arrangement
I was able to create this edible arrangement, which includes 8 fruits: pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, kiwi, blackberries, star fruit, and strawberries, for a measly $25. As you can see in the background, I had a bunch of leftover fruit. Enough fruit, in fact, to create at least 1-3 more edible arrangements such as this one.

The vase I placed my arrangement in is a plastic vase I bought for $1 at Dollar Tree and the fillers are just multiple strings of plastic Mardi Gras beads, also from Dollar Tree, that totaled $4 for about 17 strands of beads.

This was a little time consuming, but only took about 2 hours to create. Honestly, I would recommend creating your own edible arrangements, as it is much cheaper and you get a lot of leftover fruit to munch on after.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting such a great blog. I found your website perfect for my needs. Read About Edible Arrangements

    ReplyDelete